Why should I use the Ultra-Drain Marker?
Durability, appearance, convenience, safety. The benefits of permanent marking with the Ultra-Drain Marker® are numerous:
- It makes re-marking unnecessary for years. Many companies locate and re-mark facilities annually with spray paint. Think of the savings in labor and paint.
- It presents a uniform and neat public appearance (unlike spray paint) thereby eliminating complaints about "graffiti".
- It is environmentally friendly unlike spray paint. Spray paint can contribute to non-point source pollution.
- It helps to prevent damage to equipment by alerting potential excavators to the presence and location of buried equipment.
- It aids in location for routine maintenance, construction, and emergency access
I'm sure other markers are available. Why is the Ultra-Drain Marker special?
Our markers are less expensive than brass or ceramic or thermal plastic, won't crack and crumble (ceramic), won't bend exposing sharp edges (aluminum), won't tarnish (brass), and have no scrap value (brass & aluminum). They have brilliant graphics tested for UV resistance and are available in non-reflective or reflective in just about any size, shape, or color imaginable.
Our marking system is easy to use, requiring no special tools like torches (thermal-plastic), tamping machines (pressure sensitive tapes), drills or hardware (aluminum & brass), or special surface preparation (pressure sensitive tapes).
So how do I use the Ultra-Drain Marker?
There are a variety of applications. The Ultra-Drain Marker can be applied to virtually any flat, dry non-soil surface using the included adhesive. It can be affixed permanently to curbs (face or top), road shoulders, sidewalks, manhole/valve covers, concrete, metal or wooden poles, inside manholes, the list goes on.
How long will they last?
There is no simple answer. We have customers using our markers on utility patches on roads in Virginia, on curb faces in Minnesota, and sidewalks in Florida. Because of the wide variety of applications and weather conditions, there is no simple answer. UV degradation is the key factor. We have independent test data as well as our own available for your review.
Abrasion is the other factor that determines longevity. Vehicular/pedestrian traffic, street sweepers, salt, chemical exposure and a variety of environmental elements can have an effect.
Our marker offers both increased UV protection and abrasion resistance.
How well do they stick?
They require a hammer and chisel for removal. When fully cured the adhesive forms a permanent bond between the marker and application surface. A hammer and chisel would be required to remove the marker. We have test samples in place with no loss of adhesion after more than 15 years. We also have test samples on roadways, purposely placed in the tire path, that are still in place after more than 8 years.
By comparison others offer:
- Thermal-Plastic tape which requires a propane torch for installation. This system is not exactly "user friendly" and requires great care in application. Too little heat and it won't stick. Too much heat and you end up with a graphic that is an illegible blob.
- Pressure sensitive lane tape which requires a surface primer and a tamping machine. Without appropriate pressure it will lose adhesion and separate from the application surface in a short period of time.
- Aluminum or Ceramic markers which offer no proven compatible adhesive (customer has to provide) or some Aluminum and Brass "systems" that require diamond tipped drill bits for making holes and hardware for mounting.
The Ultra-Drain Marker Adhesive comes in a 5 ounce squeeze tube. Our adhesives have been tested and used under a wide variety of conditions since 1983 and offer the perfect combination of long term durability and ease of use.
What about street sweepers, snow plows and vandalism?
Our customers experience little loss from these hazards. Our tests and testimonials from our customers indicate little to no damage from street sweepers. A snow plow would be capable of scraping off a Ultra-Drain Marker. However, the Ultra-Drain Marker has been used extensively in snowbelt areas and our customers report very little to no actual loss. A determined vandal can remove the Ultra-Drain Marker. Although in over 19 years, we've received very few reports of actual occurrences exceeding 1-2%. The benefits of permanent marking with the Ultra-Drain Marker far outweigh the risk of occasional loss or damage to the marker due to any of the above factors.