Remove heavy metal runoff water at the storm drain
The early stages of stormwater management focused on the removal of sand, sediment, dirt, trash, and oil from runoff. But heavy metals have taken over the spotlight. And for good reason, because of their high degree of toxicity, many of these elements rank among the priority metals that are of public health significance.
Standard geotextiles and filter fabric won’t remove heavy metals. So we use six pounds of a custom blend of filter media to remove them from stormwater flow.
- Specialized catch basin insert has “quilted” sections sewn into the body of the unit where stormwater flows through.
- A custom blend of heavy metal removal media is contained in each section (pouch).
- Six-pounds of heavy metal removal media is contained in the lower portion of the Ultra-Drain Guard.
- An impermeable, PVC skirt at the top of the unit funnels all water to the lower portion of the Ultra-Drain Guard where it is forced to move through the media before it can move on into the storm drain.
- This BMP removes hydrocarbons, heavy metals, sediments, and other organics from stormwater and industrial runoff.
- 275 GPM flow rate.
|Part #||Dimensions in. (mm)||Containment Capacity gal. (L)||Weight Capacity UDL lbs. (kg)||Weight lbs. (kg)|
|9397||48 x 36 x 18 (1219.2 x 914.4 x 457.2)||0.23 (0.87) of Oil||30 (13.6) of Sediment, 0.419 (0.190) / 190g of Metal||8 (3.6)|
Custom sizes available. Minimum order required. Contact us for details.
Extend the life of your Ultra-Drain Guard!
By simply dropping a small tablet into each storm drain, you can increase the oil absorbing and removal effectiveness of your Ultra-Drain Guard. Ultra-Archaea are oil-eating microbes that will consume any hydrocarbons in the Ultra-Drain Guard as well as inside the catch basin. Click here for more information.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I do with this Ultra-Drain Guard after I'm "done"?
Please check with your local authorities on the proper disposal. Since it is likely filled with heavy metals and hydrocarbons, a standard landfill may not be appropriate.
Why is the top skirt "impermeable"? None of your other Ultra-Drain Guards are like that.
We want to make sure that ALL of the water goes through the filter media in the body of the Ultra-Drain Guard. In most cases, the geotextile material we use with our other Ultra-Drain Guards is sufficient to remove many of the pollutants. But it (the geotextile material) is not designed to filter or capture heavy metals.
The metal I'm concerned with is not on your list. What should I do?
Please contact us for more information.
With the additional filtering media, is the flow rate reduced compared to other Ultra-Drain Guards?
Yes. While other Ultra-Drain Guards have flow rates in excess of 700 GPM, the heavy metal model has a flow rate of 275 GPM. This is necessary for the filter media to have enough time to effectively remove the heavy metals.
Does this Ultra-Drain Guard model absorb oil, grease and other hydrocarbons in addition to heavy metals?
Yes, the Ultra-Drain Guard, Heavy Metal Model absorbs up to .23 gallons.
Does this product work with synthetic oils?
Yes, the needle-punched geotextile material used, can absorb synthetic oils.
How much heavy metal can this Ultra-Drain Guard contain?
The Ultra-Drain Guard, Heavy Metal Model can remove/contain up to 190 grams of heavy metals.
What other products should I consider for this type of application?
The Ultra-Hydrokleen does an excellent job of removing heavy metals as does the Ultra-Filter Sock. You can also check out the Path to the Perfect Product to see what other products might be a good option.
Helps Comply with These Rules & Regulations
- Stormwater Management Regulation 40 CFR 122.26
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
- Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL)
Additional Product Information
Uniform Product Codes (UPCs)
- UPC 808416093971 Ultra-Drain Guard Heavy Metal Model (Part #9397)