Stop oil and other hydrocarbons from entering trench drains
There are a number of UltraTech stormwater management products for standard storm drains. A smaller number of combination drains… but still a fair amount. So when we were challenged by a customer for a solution to keep residual fuel from being washed down their trench drains, we were surprised that there wasn’t something already available.
The challenge with most trench drains is their shape… long, narrow and shallow. That combination makes typical drain solutions impractical.
With the Ultra-Trench Filter Boom, we move the filtering solution above the drain and actually treat the water before it even reaches the drain. Using Ultra-X-Tex material, hydrocarbons are quickly removed and captured from the stormwater flow, allowing only clean rainwater to flow into the trench drain.
- A simple yet effective solution to keeping oil, gas, fuel and other pollutants out of trench drains.
- Made with Ultra-X-Tex, a high performance sorbent and filtering media that is capable of absorbing an average of 13 times its own weight of liquid hydrocarbons.
- Allows large volumes of water to pass through while absorbing liquid hydrocarbons, including petroleum, animal and vegetable oils.
- The center of the Ultra-Trench Filter Boom is designed to allow rebar (not included) to be inserted - providing additional weight to keep the unit in place.
- Designed to handle any type of vehicular traffic unlike sorbent ‘socks’ which burst or deform when driven over.
|Part #||Model||Dimensions in. (mm)||Absorption Capacity gal. (L)||Weight lbs. (kg)|
|9703||Ultra-Trench Filter Boom||96 x 3 x 3 (2438.4 x 76.2 x 76.2)||3.3 (12.5)||1.6 (.7)|
Frequently Asked Questions
Why would I use the Ultra-Trench Filter Boom instead of one of your other products?
Depending on the application, there may not be another product that will be effective. Ultra-Filter Socks could work but would likely not be as cost-effective as the Ultra-Trench Filter Boom, especially when there are many feet of trench drains (which is often the case). Feel free to try out The Path to the Perfect Product to see what other products might be a good option.
Is rebar included?
No, rebar is not included. The Ultra-Trench Filter Boom works, as designed, with or without rebar in the center. Rebar can be inserted into the center of the boom to help keep the unit in place.
How much oil can the Ultra-Trench Filter Boom hold?
Each 96″ length of Ultra-Trench Filter Boom can absorb up to 3.3 gallons (12.5 L).
Does this product work with synthetic oils?
X-Tex material is designed for the absorption of hydrocarbons and will not absorb synthetics.
Why do you use Ultra-X-Tex for this product?
Ultra-X-Tex removes oil and other hydrocarbons much faster than traditional absorbents. A polypropylene sorbent material will not allow water to freely pass through it. Oil will absorb at the surface of a polypropylene absorbent, and the polypropylene will eventually blind over and the center will not absorb any oil.
How long will the Ultra-Trench Filter Boom last before I need to replace it?
There is not a specific lifespan for the Ultra-Trench Filter Boom as this will vary on the amount of oil, grease and other hydrocarbons that are present in stormwater, and also on the amount of rainfall in the area. We recommend that you inspect the boom after the first rainfall and periodically afterward. You can extend the life of the unit by rotating it once the bottom portion begins to get saturated.
Helps Comply with These Rules & Regulations
- Stormwater Management Regulation 40 CFR 122.26
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
- Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL)
Additional Product Information
Uniform Product Codes (UPCs)
- UPC 808416097030 Ultra-Trench Filter Boom Ultra-Trench Filter Boom (Part #9703)